MDE11700 - Possible undated earthworks west of Barham Hill summit (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7047 4585. Low banks, forming a U shape and an ellipse were noted by McDonnell on an aerial photographs on Barham Hill. [1,2] SS 7047 4585. This area, just to the west of the summit of Barham Hill is partly improved rough grassland with patches of rushes. There is no trace of any "low banks" and the features may be misinterpretation of low water filled linear hollows. There are a few amorphous "tumps and bumps" but nothing of any apparent archaeological significance. 
- <1> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS7045C.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. Apr 1947, RAF/CPE/UK/1980, 3056.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7047 4585 (54m by 41m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926136 (Original Monarch entry: 926136)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/46
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17881
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20495
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW45
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926136
Record last edited
Mar 24 2018 11:16AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.