MDE11690 - Post-medieval enclosure walls and clearance cairns near Middle Hill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 749 452. Eardley-Wilmot refers to enclosure walls and a number of clearance cairns, apparently post medieval in date.  The area referred to by  is on a flat spur between the confluence of the Farley Water and a minor stream on the east. The area is covered with heather, bracken and rough grass and does not appear to have been recently ploughed. At SS 7492 4509 are a few irregular turf-covered tumps, 2m to 3m diameter and 0.3m high. Stones could be detected by probing so it is possible the surrounding area has been cleared and these are clearance heaps but they could also be natural features. Cutting across the southeast corner of SS 74 NW from about SS 7499 4509 southwest to SS 7470 4484 on the Farley Water is an earthen bank about 2.3m wide and up to 0.4m high. This connects to similar banks; in the northeast (shown on the 1888 map) and on the W side of the Farley Water (MDE11726). [1,2] The site appears to be the southern edge of an area of enclosed land, probably early 19th Century enclosures, intended for development and improvement but not subsequently taken up. More banks cut across the lower slopes of Farley Hill to the north and eventually connect back to the intake walling and enclosed fields. No survey action. (Area delineated on 1:10000). 
- <1> SMO4134 Archive: Devon Sites and Monuments Record (now HER). Eardley-Wilmot, H; SS 74 NW 40.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1888, Devon Sheet 7(6).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7491 4508 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926093 (Original Monarch entry: 926093)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/40
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 14128
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20384
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW39
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926093
Record last edited
May 13 2013 11:32AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.