MDE11686 - Post-medieval field system east of Windypost Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 724 479. Earthworks (form unspecified) identified by Devon County Rescue Archaeology Field Survey Officer visible as a soilmark on aerial photographs. [1,2] The reference falls in a pasture field on a gentle north facing slope. There is no trace of any earthworks at SS 724 479. In the same pasture field at SS 7231 4791 is a curvilinear hollow (about 50 metres long) following a line parallel to the bend of the modern road. This is possibly a ploughed out hollow way pre-dating the road and may have been interpreted as an earthwork. Also within this field are five rings, slight annular hollows, caused by circular animal feeders being left in position over a long period - one is still in use.  The Tithe Map for Lynton and Lynmouth parish shows that the field in which the site is recorded was previously subdivided into five parcels and that the outside boundary of this group has since expanded outwards, with the internal partitions apparently removed. It is possible that the earthworks described above may relate to these previous field boundaries. N.B.GIS mapping edited to show boundary of enclosed fields. [4,5]
- <1> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Devon County Rescue Archaeology Field Survey Officer, 1979.
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980/4049.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 February 1994.
- <4> SEM7677 Map: 1840. Lynton and Lynmouth Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 1204-8.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 28 March 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 725 479 (423m by 222m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=926081 (Original Monarch entry: 926081)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS74NW/34
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12217
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20270
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW36
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 926081
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 1:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.