MDE11670 - Adit southwest of Watersmeet House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Claughton records workings for iron trials on 1870 in Barton Wood adjacent to Watersmeet House.  A short, abandoned adit beside the East Lyn opposite Watersmeet House records an unsuccessful search for metals on the Watersmeet Estate. Probably the search was for iron, the presence of which is hinted at in the red-stained rocks along the valley side.  There is a watercolour print in the Exmoor Museum, Lynton illustrating an ironstone mine near Watersmeet being worked in 1875. It shows a miner wheeling ore ? in a barrow with an adit entrance, presumably this one, in the background.  SS 74413 48635. The adit is cut into a rock face at the base of steep slopes on the S side of the East Lyn River. It is 3.2 metres high and 2.2 metres wide at the entrance and penetrates for a depth of 6.5 metres. Surveyed at 1:2500. 
- <1> SDE3410 Report: Claughton, P. F.. 1993. A List of Mines in North Devon and West Somerset.
- <2> SDE83107 Monograph: Keene, P. and Elsom, D.. 1990. Lyn in Flood: Watersmeet to Lynmouth. Thematic Trails.
- <3> SDE83106 Unassigned: Smith, C. R.. 1875. Watercolour in Exmoor Museum, Lynton.
- <4> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury, I. S. 16/06/1994,.
|Grid reference||SS 7441 4863 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=925923 (Original Monarch entry: 925923)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 46119
- Devon SMR: SS74NW/85/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21395
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 NW28
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- National Trust HER Record
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 925923
Record last edited
Oct 23 2013 1:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.