MDE11660 - Undated linear earthwork at Lee Ball (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 6873 3974. A parch mark suggesting a round mound is visible at Lee Ball on aerial photographs. [1,2] The site was classified as a barrow on the Devon SMR based on McDonnell's transcription. [2,3] A circular feature, which the Devon SMR originally classified as a barrow, is depicted at SS 6874 3977 by . At SS 6873 3975, in improved pasture, is a very denuded elongated swelling 0.3 metres high. The feature emerges obliquely from the hedgeline and, although amorphous, appears to be linear rather than circular. Lying on a west to east orientation, it is about 15 metres long, and 7.5 metres wide. A confident classification of the feature cannot be made on the strength of the field evidence. [4,5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CPE/UK/1980 4141 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6839A.
- <3> SEM7959 Archive: Devon County Council. Various. Devon SMR / HER records / parish files - Exmoor records. 17894.
- <4> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 23 December 1992.
- <5> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 925516.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6874 3975 (25m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=925516 (Pastscape entry: 925516)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17894
- Devon SMR: SS63NE/38
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20508
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 63 NE25
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 925516
Record last edited
May 17 2020 4:11PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.