MDE11478 - Post-medieval leat to Heasley Mill (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The very well preserved remains of a leat run from SS 7388 3252 to SS 7380 3213. It supplied the former corn mill at Heasley Mill. The feature still carries water and comprises a cutting 1.2 metres deep in the natural valley slope and a bank 1 metre in height on the lower side.  "Mill leat" shown on 6 inch 1906 and 1963 Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] The site was visited in 1989. There was a sluice gate in situ at the leat above the wheel. The launder was blocked off, but the leat was still running.  Much of the course of the leat is visible on 2018 MasterMap data.  The course of the leat is also shown and labelled on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The leat has been mapped up to the edge of the National Park boundary. 
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 7 April 1993.
- <2> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SDE83973 Monograph: Thorpe, J.. 1989. North Devon Watermills. North Devon Archaeological Society Report. 5. 42.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 7 September 2017.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7382 3235 (145m by 368m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=917496 (Pastscape entry: 917496)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73SW/30/2
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 33720
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21237
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SW18
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 917496
Record last edited
Apr 8 2019 12:46PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.