MDE11244 - Possible post-medieval crop marks at Crock Point (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Group of irregular circular features on promontory between Lee and Woody Bays. Archaeologically doubtful, probably stands of bracken. Show well on 1946 aerial photograph. [1,2] SS 6886 4919. There are no traces of these features, or reason for such an identification, in a pasture field just cropped for hay at time of the visit. This area, a small coastal headland, has, apart from a fringe of light bracken around the steeper southern slopes nearer the road, been mainly turned over to pasture.  This area is immediately to the north of Crock Pits where clay pits were excavated during the 17th and early 18th Century. The cropmarks may be associated with this activity. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF/106G/UK/ 1655/3157. -/07/1946.
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6849A. [Mapped feature: #38596 SS6849A]
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 10 June 1993.
- <4> SDE340746 Index: NMR. unknown. SX64NE51. NMR Index.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6882 4924 (283m by 176m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915617 (Pastscape entry: 915617)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/58
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17944
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20558
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE68
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915617
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:00PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.