MDE11241 - Late 19th Century pier remains at Woody Bay (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 6772 4909. The remains of a pier. This pier was built in 1895 by Colonel Benjamin Greene Lake (1839-1909), a London solicitor in an attempt to develop the Woody Bay area. It was initially planned to be about 100 yards long with a dog-leg extension and landing stage, but was later reduced to 80 yards because of financial difficulties. The pier was completed for the arrival of the first steamer in 1897 but it broke up during the storms of 1899 and 1900 and it was finally pulled down in 1902.  The pier remains are shown and annotated on the Ordnance Survey map of 1904.  Due to locked gates access was not gained to the pier. its wooden superstructure has gone but its foundations of large stone blocks with the broken bases of rusting iron girders are still visible.  The pier was built circa 1900 by a developer for use in the Bristol Channel pleasure steamer trade.  The 2020 MasterMap data depicts the feature and labels it "Pier (remains of)". 
- <1> SEM7684 Monograph: Bridle, H.. 2005. Woody Bay. Finial Publishing. P. 7-8, 32-40.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 2(11).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 10 June 1993.
- <4> SDE86660 Leaflet: National Trust. 1984. Guide to Heddon Valley and Woody Bay.
- <5>XY SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #46773 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6770 4907 (61m by 64m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915590 (Pastscape entry: 915590)
- Coastal Risk 2014: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 2 tidal
- Coastal Risk 2016: Flood Zone 3 tidal
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 22874
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/71
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20949
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE66
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 915590
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 3:24PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.