MDE11219 - Possible Bronze Age barrow west of Woolhanger (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Small round mound west of Woolhanger. Good on aerial photographs dating to 1977. [1,2] SS 6933 4546. McDonnell depicts a small round mound seen on aerial photographs west of Woolhanger [1,2] which was classified by the Devon SMR as a barrow. This area, shown as rough pasture on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  has been ploughed though it has now reverted to pasture. There is no trace of this alleged barrow.  The feature noted by McDonnell is situated in the same location as a feature transcribed by the Exmoor National Mapping Project as part of World War Two Training activities (MMO1815). It is therefore possible this may be part of that Monument. [5,6] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAM/13/060/ (May 1977).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6945a. [Mapped feature: #44122 SS6945A]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 6(8).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 July 1993.
- <5> SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 26 March 2018.
- <7> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 915496, Extant 2 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6932 4546 (19m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915496 (Pastscape entry: 915496)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/59
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17945
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20559
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE55
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 915496
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 11:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.