MDE11207 - Possible undated cairn or spoil heap northeast of Caffyns Heanton Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 6966 4763. A mound is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  in an area of open heathland on the northeastern slopes of Caffyns Heanton Down. The mound appears to have some stony content represented in its depiction suggesting it may be a cairn or spoil heap. Nothing else is associated with it on the plan. The area has now been ploughed and is at present rough grazing. There is no trace of the mound. It is not depicted on the 1904 Ordnance survey map  so may well have been effaced by then. 
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 2(16). [Mapped feature: #43850 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 2(16).
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 19 July 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6965 4762 (28m by 29m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915414 (Pastscape entry: 915414)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60574
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/129
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21640
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE49
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915414
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.