MDE11198 - Possible undated mound on Martinhoe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 676 475. An unannotated mound is shown on the 1809 Ordnance Survey map.  SS 6767 4750. This area of Martinhoe Common is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map  as common heathland but the mound depicted on the earlier map is not shown. The heather was replaced by grass after the war in 1945  and at present the area is under pasture. There is no trace of a mound. 
- <1> SSO1424 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1" 1st edition. 1809 1" First Edition.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 2(15).
- <3> SEM7572 Monograph: Bridle, H.. 1991. Woody Bay. Finial Publishing. p86.
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 20 July 1993.
|Grid reference||SS 6767 4749 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915335 (Pastscape entry: 915335)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 60571
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/128
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21638
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE45
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915335
Record last edited
Oct 14 2020 3:38PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.