MDE11189 - Undated ditches on Woolhanger Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Cropmarks of regular, linear features at SS 6945 4605, visible on aerial photographs, are thought to be possible ditches. [1,2] This area, on the northeastern slopes of Woolhanger Common, is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map as rough grassland. It is now under hay and no trace of these alleged ditches was identified during field investigation. (3-4)
- <1> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography. MAM/13/060 (May 1977).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6945c, SS6946b. [Mapped feature: #38163 SS6945C, SS6946B]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 6(4).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 July 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6941 4595 (336m by 442m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915192 (Pastscape entry: 915192)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17947
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/61
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20693
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE41
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915192
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.