MDE11188 - Possible medieval pillow mound on Woolhanger Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A cropmark, located at SS 6917 4635, of a short length of bank, is visible on aerial photographs and thought to be a possible pillow mound. [1,2] SS 6917 4635. The grid reference falls on the northeast slopes of Woolhanger Common, an area shown as rough grass on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The area is now under uncut hay and no trace of this possible pillow mound was seen on the ground. [3,4] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980, 3057 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 6946a. [Mapped feature: #38166 SS6946a]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 6(4).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 July 1993.
- <5> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 915177, Extant 2 November 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6918 4635 (21m by 12m) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915177 (Pastscape entry: 915177)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17948
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/62
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20694
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE40
- National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 915177
Record last edited
Nov 2 2021 10:53AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.