MDE11188 - Possible medieval pillow mound on Woolhanger Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A cropmark, located at SS 6917 4635, of a short length of bank, is visible on aerial photographs and thought to be a possible pillow mound. [1,2] The grid reference falls on the northeast slopes of Woolhanger Common, an area shown as rough grass on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. The area is now under uncut hay and no trace of this possible pillow mound was seen on the ground. [3,4]
- <1> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography. RAF CPE/UK/1980, 3057 (April 1947).
- <2>XY SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. 6946a. [Mapped feature: #38166 SS6946a]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889, Devon 6(4).
- <4> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 July 1993.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6918 4635 (21m by 12m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915177 (Pastscape entry: 915177)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17948
- Devon SMR: SS64NE/62
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20694
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE40
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915177
Record last edited
Oct 28 2020 4:22PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.