MDE11181 - Undated field system on Martinhoe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
Miscellaneous angular and curving, low banks forming one large field and several incomplete ones are visible on aerial photographs on Martinhoe Common. [1,2] SS 676 475. The fragmentary remains of a possible field system on Martinhoe Common. McDonnell  depicts miscellaneous angular and curving low banks forming one large field and several incomplete ones seen on aerial photographs  centred at SS 6767 4758. This area, ploughed since 1947, is now predominantly under pasture. Most of the features referred to by McDonnell have been ploughed out and are only faintly discernible, if at all, as amorphous rises and hollows too poor to warrant survey action. Some of the features (banks and hollow ways are part of site MDE11182. Better preserved remains of a field system (see MDE11182) are visible on the southern slopes of Martinhoe Common. No Survey Action.  A possible field system is visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks on the western side of Martinhoe Common. The area has been ploughed since 1947 and is currently under pasture, which has much reduced the scale of the earthworks. A precise date for the field system has not been established, although the area is shown as open moorland on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that the fields had been abandoned prior to this date. Prehistoric and Bronze Age field systems with similar alignments are known to exist in the area (see MMO316) but due to the poor preservation of these banks it is unlikely that an accurate date will be established. [4-6]
- <1> SMO4067 Aerial photograph: Aerial photograph reference number . RAF 106G/UK 1655/3190-91 (July 1946).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6747a.
- <3> SMO5111 Unpublished document: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. Field Investigators Comment. Sainsbury IS 18-Jun-93 RCHME Field Investigation..
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4366-67 (13 May 1946).
- <5> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <6>XY SMO7555 Archive: Exmoor National Park National Mapping Programme: SS 64 NE. MD002172. [Mapped feature: #46708 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 675 477 (552m by 534m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=915118 (Pastscape entry: 915118)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/52
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17938
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20552
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO317
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE35
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 915118
Record last edited
Sep 30 2020 11:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.