MDE10897 - Post-medieval stone quarry on Parracombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
At SS 6918 4465 are the remains of a roughly sub circular hollow with material mounded on its southeastern lip. It measures 15.5 metres by 8.6 metres and is cut into the hillside by 2.2 metres. The feature is quite clearly a stone quarry, presumably to gather material for the spoil dump. The quarry is gradually being infilled with field stone.  N.B. This feature was previously thought to have been described in the Devon SMR at SS 6922 4460; however, mapping evidence suggests the feature recorded here is a separate structure, now recorded as MDE20366. The feature described above is shown separately on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map as an earthwork. [2,3]
- <1> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 14 October 1993.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 26 March 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6917 4464 (18m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=910108 (Pastscape entry: 910108)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/66
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE20366
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE63
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 910108
Record last edited
Mar 26 2018 2:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.