MDE10875 - Post-medieval fishponds southwest of Heddon Hall (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A string of three ponds is shown on the Tithe Map for Parracombe parish.  The fish ponds are shown in a similar plan form on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Fish ponds marked on the Ordnance Survey 6 inch maps of 1903 and 1963. [3,4] The three ponds are centred at SS 6717 4498. They form part of the ornamental landscaping for Heddon Hall. [5,6] The fish ponds were shown on the 2018 MasterMap data. They each have a weir at their lower (southwestern) end.  The ponds presumably relate to Heddon Hall. 
- <1> SDE89747 Map: 1839. Parracombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SDE65803 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903/38. 6 Inch: 1903-38. 1:10560.
- <4> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <5> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 October 1993.
- <6> SMO4814 Survey: Sainsbury, I. & Wilson-North, R.. 1993. South Common, SS 64 SE 20, 21, 22, 25, 46, 47, 54/ink survey . 1:2500. General: Permatrace. Pen and Ink.
- <7> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <8> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 16 December 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6716 4497 (80m by 69m)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909976 (Pastscape entry: 909976)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909980 (Pastscape entry: 909980)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 57021
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/191
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE10876
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20649
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE47
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE48
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909976
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909980
Record last edited
Dec 16 2019 4:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.