MDE10868 - Disputed prehistoric hut circle southwest of Parracombe Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A low bank forming a circular pound with entrance on the northeast side. It possibly encloses a rather small and doubtful hut circle. It shows well on aerial photographs dating to 1947. [1,2] No trace of the enclosure or the hut circle was observed in the vicinity of the National Grid Reference. Some stone quarrying has taken place in this area.  The site has been mapped from the CRAAGS aerial photograph transcription, held as a georeferenced layer by ENPA. [2,4]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980.4087 (April 1947).
- <2> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS6844A.
- <3> SMO7329 Unpublished document: Wilson-North, R.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1 October 1993.
- <4> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 25 July 2016.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6851 4467 (44m by 48m) (Aerial survey)|
|Civil Parish||PARRACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=909936 (Pastscape entry: 909936)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64SE/91
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 17977
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20723
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE42
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 909936
Record last edited
Jul 25 2016 12:14PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.