MDE10503 - St Peter's Church, Twitchen (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Church marked at SS 7885 3043.  Church of St Peter. 15th Century tower, rest rebuilt and tower altered in 1844 by J. Hayward. Three-bay nave, one-bay chancel; and west tower. Restoration in Decorated Gothic style. The font is Norman, circular, with elementary zigzag decoration. A church on this site is first mentioned in 1340, and was a chapel dependent on the Church of All Saints, North Molton. [2,3] Parish church, font. Proportions spoilt by lengthening of shaft in the 19th century. Round upper part of bowl is a band of chevron moulding, 127 millimetres wide; rest filled by a row of cones springing from the neck moulding, the broad ends forming semi-circles in the usual way. Circular base. Below a round moulding is a fine row of detached nail-head ornament. Below this a round moulding above a square moulding, with a quirk between the two. Some patches of new stone in upper part of bowl. Thickness grooved to take a cover. Pewter basin inside bowl.  The building was visited in September 2012 as part of the rapid condition survey of Exmoor's Listed Buildings 2012-13. It received a BAR score of 6.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project.  The church is depicted on the Tithe Map for Twitchen and on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [11,12] It is also labelled on the 2021 MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7222 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1980. 1:10000 Map, 1980. 1:10000.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . (HHR) Devon, North Devon District (November 1980) 171-172.
- <3> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 877.
- <4> SMO7304 Unpublished document: Chapman, H.P.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 4 January 1995.
- <5> SDE94881 Unassigned: Cresswell, B. F.. Unknown. Notes on Devon Churches, Deanery of South Molton. P.242-246.
- <6> SDE94882 Monograph: 1939. Kelly's Directory. P.109-110.
- <7> SEM7171 Aerial photograph: Griffith, F.. 1980s-1990s. Oblique aerial photographs of the Devon part of Exmoor National Park. DAP/OF2 (1989).
- <8> SDE145498 Article in serial: Clarke, K. M.. 1916. The Baptismal Fonts of Devon. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 48. 4. 304, Plate 1.
- <9> SEM8060 Report: Lawrence, G.. 2014. Exmoor National Park: Rapid condition survey of listed buildings 2012-13.
- <10> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 900063, Extant 5 October 2021.
- <11> SEM7993 Map: 1841. Twitchen Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 113.
- <12> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <13>XY SEM340794 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2021. MasterMap data. 1:2,500. [Mapped feature: #47578 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7885 3049 (21m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||TWITCHEN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (2)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=900063 (Pastscape entry: 900063)
- https://facultyonline.churchofengland.org/CHR/ChurchDetails.aspx?id=5315 (CHER ID: 615512)
- 2012-3 Building At Risk Score (6): 1549/17/214
- Church Heritage Record ID: 615512
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 690
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 692
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/506
- Devon SMR: SS73SE/506/2
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20055
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 SE14
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 900063
Record last edited
Oct 5 2021 2:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.