MDE10502 - Probable post-medieval clearance cairn near Sherracombe Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The location of a telling-house, known to have been in the vicinity of the 'span' since at least 1657 has probably been found in association with the old Dunster-Barnstaple route (mentioned by Leland). The telling house, at SS 7280 3582, is a conical mound 7.2 metres across and stands 2.75 metres above the trough of the sunken track. The trackway runs from SS 7207 3540 on yard Down to SS 7350 3622 towards Kingsford Cross and averages 3 metres wide. It is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1 inch map of 1809. [1, 2] The aforementioned hollow way is now treated separately as MDE13170.  There is no mound at the position given (SS 7280 3582), however there is one 50 metres to the north at SS 7281 3587 which appears, from the description given, to be the feature referred to above. SS 7281 3587. A turf-covered stony mound about 7.5 metres long northwest-southeast by 7 metres and 1.8 metres at its maximum height. It projects into the hollow way (MDE13170) and therefore postdates it. There are similar mounds projecting into the course of the hollow way further to the north. Eardley-Wilmot [1, 4], suggests that this mound could be the telling house referred to by McDermot  at Span Head. However, Span Head is 1.2 kilometres to the northeast of this mound. There is no evidence to suggest there has been a building on this mound or that it is the remains of a building so the suggestion that this is the remains of a telling house cannot be substantiated. It is most likely that this mound is a stone clearance heap, as probably are the other mounds. 
- <1> SMO4114 Serial: 1900 -. Devon and Cornwall notes and queries. 34 (1981) Page(s) 329-42.
- <2> SSO1423 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map. 1:63,360.
- <3> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Unknown, Exmoor HER.
- <4> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Devon County SMR No SS 73 NW 534.
- <5> SMO5058 Monograph: MacDermot, E.T.. 1973. The History of the Forest of Exmoor. David and Charles Limited. Revised Edition.
- <6> SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. IS Sainsbury, 12-OCT-1995 RCHME Field Investigation.
|Grid reference||SS 7280 3586 (point)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=900060 (Pastscape entry: 900060)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS73NW/534
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 73 NW37
- National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 900060
Record last edited
Oct 19 2015 3:50PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.