MDE1048 - Natural stone on Higher Down (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
STONE (OE).  This is a prominent feature, being 3 feet high, 3 feet broad and 2 feet wide. Located and surveyed on field document at SS 6615 4227.  SS 6615 4227. Standing Stone (NAT).  "A standing stone considered by R H Worth to be the last vestige of a stone row". [4,5] SS 6616 4226. An erect stone 0.9 metres high, 0.9 metres wide and 0.5 metres thick. Several stones at its base do not appear to be packing stones. If this is a standing stone then it is of unusually small dimensions and as the remaining one of stone row quite conjectural. Surveyed at 1:2500.  An earthfast stone. Almost certainly a natural feature. 
- <1> SEM7770 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 6 Inch Map: 1905. 1:10560.
- <2> SDE24 DHER migrated record: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. Ordnance Survey site visit notes. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. SS 6 inch, C Atherton, Reviser, 4 December 1957.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. P. 397.
- <5> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 113.
- <6> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 21 August 1972.
- <7> SMO5658 Monograph: Quinnell, N.V. + Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic Monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A New Survey for Management Purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <8> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 64 SE 6. Plan and Photograph.
|Grid reference||SS 6616 4225 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34687 (Pastscape entry: 34687)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12121
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/33/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20229
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34687
Record last edited
Jan 6 2017 10:25AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.