MDE1048 - Natural stone on Higher Down (Non-antiquity)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
STONE (OE).  Authority was probably R.Hansford Worth.  This is a prominent feature, being 3 feet high, 3 feet broad and 2 feet wide. Located and surveyed on field document at SS 6615 4227.  SS 6615 4227. Standing Stone (NAT).  A standing stone associated with barrow MDE1047.It was thought to be the last remnant of a stone row.  SS 6616 4226. An erect stone 0.9 metres high, 0.9 metres wide and 0.5 metres thick. Several stones at its base do not appear to be packing stones. If this is a standing stone then it is of unusually small dimensions and as the remaining one of stone row quite conjectural. Surveyed at 1:2500.  An earthfast stone. Almost certainly a natural feature.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SEM7770 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 6 Inch Map: 1905. 1:10560.
- <2> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 6 inch, C Atherton, Reviser, 4 December 1957.
- <3> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. P. 113.
- <4> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <5> SEM6752 Article in serial: Chanter, J.F. + Worth, R.H.. 1905. The Rude Stone Monuments of Exmoor and its Borders. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 37. I. P. 397, Plate XI.
- <6> SMO7303 Unpublished document: BUCKLEY, MHB. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 21 August 1972.
- <7> SMO5658 Report: Quinnell, N.V. and Dunn, C.J.. 1992. Lithic monuments within the Exmoor National Park: A new survey for management purposes by the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.. Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.
- <8> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 64 SE 6. Plan and Photograph.
- <9> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 34687, Extant 8 November 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6616 4225 (point) Estimated from sources|
|Civil Parish||CHALLACOMBE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34687 (Pastscape entry: 34687)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12121
- Devon SMR: SS64SE/33/1
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20229
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 SE6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 34687
Record last edited
Feb 7 2022 2:53PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.