MDE1029 - Church House (later Hollowbrook Cottage), Martinhoe (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 668 486 Southeast of Martinhoe churchyard and partly in it is a probable church-house. [1-2] SS 6681 4863 A site visit in June 1993 found a much altered Church House, renovated and in use as a dwelling.  Church house. A long stone building of two storeys, with its west side in the churchyard and its east side on the rear yard of the former rectory (now a guest house). Of rubble masonry with east side whitewashed. Stables at the southern end now entered from the rectory yard; above the doorways are eleven irregular pigeon holes. The house part at the northern end was formerly the dwelling of the groom attached to the rectory. The house has been modernised within. One or two exposed ceiling beams and roof springers remain. Fireplace has been reduced but the lateral chimney stack still remains. Windows are all late replacements. There is a little cobble paving before the front.  The Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division created a record card for this site.  Monument record reviewed as part of NRHE to HER pilot project.  Church houses were particularly suited to large rural parishes where parishioners could rest and take refreshment after their long walk to church. They became meeting places and often doubled as the parish hall and village pub. This one backs onto the churchyard. It became Hollowbrook Cottage and has been converted for accommodation for the Rectory, which is now a guest house. When the cottage served the Rectory it was used for stables and accommodation for the groom. It is mostly modernised, but retains an old chimney stack and eleven pigeonholes. It could date from medieval times. 
- <1> SMO5393 Serial: Devonshire Association. 1862 -. Devonshire Association reports and transactions. Volume 92 (1960), 138 (CW Copeland).
- <2> SMO5054 Monograph: Pevsner, N.. 1952. The Buildings of England: North Devon. Penguin Books. 121.
- <3> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 10 June 1993.
- <4> SDE33318 Article in serial: Copeland, G.. 1961. Devonshire Church-Houses: Part II. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 93. Plate 21.
- <5> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 64 NE 11.
- <6> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 34636.
- <7> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 89.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6681 4863 (17m by 24m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34636 (Pastscape entry: 34636)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/8
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 2029
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20109
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE11
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 34636
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.