MDE1024 - Undated subcircular enclosure on Caffyns Heanton Down (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 6862 4684. A subcircular cropmark, approximately 8.0 metres across can be seen.  Nothing to be seen on the ground. Probably a modern agricultural mark.  Possibly the site of a bunker of Lynton golf course which occupied Coffin's Heaton Down in 1908.  SS 6861 4686. The ill defined remains of a subcircular enclosure are situated about 320 metres Ordnance Datum in a pasture field on the summit of the western end of the flat topped ridge of Caffyns Heanton Down. It measures about 16 metres north to south by 14 metres within an earthen bank, now 0.3 metres maximum height and spread to about 4 metres where best preserved in the southwest. The interior appears to lie some 0.3 metres below the surrounding ground level. There is no definite entrance evident but it may have been through a break in the southeast.This area is shown on the 1904 Ordnance Survey map  as a corridor of open heathland between the southern end of Martinhoe Common and Caffyns Heanton Down. The enclosure and the golf course referred to  are visible on 1946 aerial photograph  but it is not clear if the golf course extended to cover the area of the enclosure and this could not be verified locally. The site is precisely on the summit of the down and as such is an outstanding situation with excellent all round visibility. It is quite possible that this feature may have been a small subcircular enclosure of some sort which may have been reused as a bunker. Surveyed at 1:2500.  Monument record reviewed as part of NRHE to HER pilot project. [7,8]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. OS OS/72065 150-151 (1972).
- <2> SMO7308 Unpublished document: Fletcher, M.J.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, F1, 27 August 1972.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1 inch / 1908.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 6(4).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 3370 (13 May 1946).
- <6>XY SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 21 July 1993. [Mapped feature: #46759 ]
- <7> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 34627.
- <8> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 34627, Extant 28 April 2021.
|Grid reference||SS 6861 4686 (point) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=34627 (Pastscape entry: 34627)
- Devon SMR (Devonshire): SS64NE/24
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12102
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20216
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 64 NE6
- National Park: Exmoor National Park
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 34627
Record last edited
May 3 2021 10:34PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.