Site Event/Activity record EMO4944 - 1977: AE - Shallowmead
University of Exeter
The site was subject to excavation in 1977 as it was in an area to be included in a land reclamation scheme in an area of rough pasture, and it was thought possible that the site may contain evidence of prehistoric habitations such as hut circles (which are rare on Exmoor). Excavation uncovered a feature thought to be a ring cairn, which included finds that dated the feature to around 2000-1500 BC.
- <1> SEM8119 Report: Miles, H.. 1977. Excavations at Shallowmead, North Molton, Devon: Interim report.
- <2> SMO4185 Serial: Devon Archaeological Exploration Society newsletter no 1 (Sept 1962) - no 49 (January 1975) . Volume 8/9 (1977), 8.
- <3> SMO4186 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1975 -. Devon Archaeological Society newsletter. Volume 71 (1998), 6.
- <4> SMO5362 Serial: Devon Archaeological Society. 1929+. Devon Archaeological Society Proceedings. Volume 55 (1997), 1-38 (H Quinnell) "Excavations of an Exmoor barrow and ring cairn".
- <5> SEM8323 Archive: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER prototype website test. 636656.
|Location||Shallowmead, Span Head, North Molton|
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7410 3608 (10m by 20m) (Estimated from sources)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2017 11:08AM