Listed Building: METHODIST CHAPEL AND YOUTH CENTRE
858-1, 2, 51
03 September 1973
Date last amended
09 June 1995
LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH SS74NW A39, Barbrook 858-1/2/51 (South East side) 03/09/73 Methodist Chapel and Youth Centre (Formerly Listed as: LYNTON BARBROOK Youth Centre) - GV II
Methodist chapel with schoolroom, and attached manse. Chapel 1870, house possibly later C19, hall (now dormitories) 1907. The chapel is in slate-stone and granite rubble with a slate roof; to its left the lower block is in squared and coursed rubble with brick dressings and slate roof, and the link plus the house, to the right, is in rubble with brick dressings and slate roof. PLAN: the chapel is raised on the schoolroom, and approached by an external staircase; to its left is a hall set gable to the street, with returned link to the left gable of the chapel. The house has a lofty and narrow block set gable to the street and raised on a terrace, with a lower link building to the right gable of the chapel. EXTERIOR: the chapel is in 3 bays, on 2 storeys, with 4 buttresses, rendered in the upper half, with 2 offsets, and 3 wide lancets with cast-iron small-scale diamond-paned glazing to cusped heads; below are 2 plank doors with plain transom lights and 3 plain casements; blocked window above entrance door. Between floors is a chamfered offset, and the eaves has a prominent projecting gutter. An inset stone records that it was laid by Mr John Glidden, 5 July 1870. To the left is a rubble gable above the deep swept-down roof over a recessed door and 3-light casement. The brought forward gable end has a large 4-light casement with transom to a segmental head. The return wall is in rubble, and there is a cropped stack to the left of the door. The house has a principal front facing SW (to the right) in 2 storeys with part semi-basement, with 3 windows, large plain sashes, with central door. The gable to the street has a tripartite plain sash to the top floor, and a deeper one at the first floor, above a central door with small flanking sashes. Various brick bands and terracotta enrichments, and the gable has a scalloped barge-board. This is linked to the chapel by a lower unit, set back, in 3 storeys, rendered, with a 2-light casement above a door with margin-pane glazing, the main entry to the chapel at the head of the steps, and 2 other casements. INTERIOR: house not inspected. The chapel is in 4 bays, ceiled to a flat pitch, and with no visible tie or collar; in the 2nd bay is a cast-iron vent. The plain plastered walls have a matchboard dado. The pews seem to be original, and at the rear each last pew is approached through a door from the lobby, and the reading desk has stairs with a cast-iron double-S balustrade to a swept mahogany handrail. 5 steps rise to a small gabled inner pew, with a 6-panel door. The hall, divided into 2 for small dormitories, has an arch-braced, boarded roof, with a large window also to the rear gable.
Listing NGR: SS7164947683