Scheduled Monument: Two bowl barrows on North Molton Ridge 620m and 720m west of Twitchen Ball Corner
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
10 November 1950
Date last amended
This monument includes two bowl barrows, one with a later encircling bank, situated on the summit of North Molton Ridge, overlooking the valleys of the River Mole and Sherdon Water. The southern barrow survives as an oval flat-topped mound measuring up to 21.5m long by 19.5m wide and 1m high. The surrounding quarry ditch, from which material to construct the mound was derived, is preserved as a buried feature. Encircling the mound and 7.6m from its base is a later 1.1m high outer bank with external ditch. This feature relates to either the Elizabethan reuse of the barrow as a beacon or as a result of 18th century tree planting. An Ordnance Survey triangulation pillar has been placed on the summit of the barrow mound. The northern barrow survives as a flat-topped circular mound measuring up to 19.2m in diameter and 0.5m high. The partially buried surrounding quarry ditch measures up to 1m wide and 0.2m deep. This barrow was partially excavated in 1917 and finds included an urn, flint implements and a necklace of faience beads. The triangulation pillar is excluded from the scheduling but the ground beneath this feature is included.
Sources: HER:- NMR:-SS 73 SE 1 PastScape Monument No:-35068
External Links (0)
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 8000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.