Scheduled Monument: Bowl barrow called Chains Barrow
Department for Culture, Media and Sport
01 November 1934
Date last amended
The monument includes a bowl barrow situated on the summit of the prominent Chains Ridge, overlooking the valley of the Hoaroak Water. The barrow survives as a circular stone and earth-built mound measuring approximately 25m in diameter and 1.7m high. A surrounding quarry ditch, from which the construction material was derived, is visible as a partially buried 2m wide and 0.2m deep feature. A triangulation pillar has been placed on the summit of the mound. This is excluded from the scheduling although the ground beneath is included. The barrow is recorded as 'Cheyne Barrow' in 1653 and may also have been known as 'Exaborough' during the 17th century.