Listed Building: BURROW FARM ENGINE HOUSE AND REMAINS OF DRYING SHED ABOUT 10 METRES TO WEST
1648, 5, 11
11 June 1975
Date last amended
ST03SW BROMPTON REGIS CP 5/11 Burrow Farm Engine house and remains of drying shed about 10 m to west 11.6.75 - II
Remains of mine engine house and shed. 1880, erected by Henry Skewis, mines captain. Flat bedded local stone, brick cap to chimney. Plan: rectangular engine house for rotary beam engine, with chimney in north-east corner and detached shed for drying miners' clothing. Two storeys, ruin and roofless, east front 3 square headed openings of differing sizes under wooden lintels, circular chimney right with remains of moulded cap and large fissure. Interior empty. To west randon rubble walls of former drying shed. The steam driven rotary beam engine with a 25" cylinder operated a pump and 2 winding drums for Burrow Farn iron ore mine, operational between 1880 and 1883. This is the best surviving engine house on the Brendon hills, (Greenfield, Exmoor Review, 1981).
Listing NGR: ST0086234514