Listed Building: HELE BRIDGE AT NGR 9331 2782 (1263928)

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 1648, 9, 53
Date assigned 04 August 1986
Date last amended
Date revoked
SS92NW DULVERTON CP - 9/53 Hele Bridge at NGR SS 9331 2782 - GV II Road bridge over River Exe. Medieval in origin, repaired 1628 and 1866, widened on south side in 1892 by G B Fisher for Somerset County Council. Random rubble local stone with rubble voussoirs and hit-and-miss coping to parapet, south side squared, irregularly coursed local stone with blue glazed brick voussoirs and saddleback coping. Three arch span; 4-centred arches on north side flanking pointed cutwaters with rubble tops, circular iron tie above apex of centre arch; the earlier parapet seems to have extended to the top of the cutwaters and is visible in the south-west corner. South side, semi-circular headed arches, pointed cutwater between with parapet extended along the line of the cutwaters to form recesses similar to those found on medieval packhorse bridges. The soffits of the arches have been extended in brick on the south side and would appear to indicate 2 periods of building. An interesting example of how a medieval bridge has been adapted to modern needs. Ogilby in 1675 includes the road from Hele Bridge to Dulverton in his Bridgwater-Barnstaple road. (Bently and Murless, Somerset Roads, 1985; Photograph in NMR). Listing NGR: SS9330827831

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SS 93308 27829 (35m by 14m)
Map sheet SS92NW
Civil Parish BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Civil Parish DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)