SS9127 DULVERTON CP BAK SQUARE (North side) SS92NW
9/60 Church of All Saints 15/60
Parish church, Tower C15, extensively restored 1853-5 when rest of church rebuilt by Edward Ashworth, bui1ders, Samuel Shewbrooks of Taunton, sanctuary redecorated and organ given 1873-4. Squared rubble local stone, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, octagonal crenellated chimney in south-west corner of south aisle, West tower, south-west porch, north-west vestry, north and south aisles, 4-bay nave, north-east vestry, south-east chapel, chancel. Crenellated 3-stage tower, diagonal buttresses, 2-light louvred bell-openings, lancet resting on string course on south face below clock, 3-liqht west window, chamfered pointed arch west door; crenellated single storey porch approached by flight of 3 steps, 2-light west window, moulded arched doorway on south front, similar inner doorway, 3-light window to west end of crenellated south aisle, decorative merlons, four 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, door to basement for boiler room end bay left with wrought iron railings enclosing bay, crenellated polygonal stair turret, 3-light chancel windows flanking priests door approached by lateral flight of steps, decorative rainwater head with date, east end 4-light windows to aisles flanking 3-light windows between stepped buttresses, 3-light west window, door below. Interior: rendered. Moulded pointed chancel arch with angel corbels, similar tower arch; open ribbed barrel vault roofs with bosses; good example of oak rood screen given 1902 by Mrs Snow, 2:1:2 bays with rood above, continued as 5-bay screen to chapel with rood stair; low screen between central bays of chancel and chapel to south, vestry north with organ. West vestry with singing gallery over. Bath stone reredos with crocketed niches for Ten Commandments 1873-5. C19 stained glass of varying quality, good west window, unfortunate east window dated 1864. Brass in north aisle to Humphrey Sydenham died 1710, marble tablet to his nanesake died 1757; in tower convex oval tablet with putti surround to Robert Kingford died 1790; and other tablets. C19 fittings including Perpendicular style font and pretty brass coronet light mantles. Lectern given 1912. Royal coat of arms, painted on wood, dated 1714. Ashworth was the Exeter Diocesan architect. (Kellys Directory, 1914; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: SS9146028003