SS73NE EXMOOR CP
SIMONSBATH 11/12 Church of St Luke 6.4.59
II - Church. Circa 1856. Architect unknown. Dressed lias, render grooved as ashlar to left of porch, slate hung west end, Ham stone dressings, stepped sill string course below windows, coved cornice, coped verges to chancel arch wall, slate roofs. Plan: 3-bay nave, bell-cote, south porch, chancel, north-east vestry. Early English style. Slate hung gabled bell-cote rising from central west end buttress pierced by 2 lancets, lower flanking butttresses with cement caps linked by high plinth, single storey gabled porch, pointed arch opening reached by flight of 4 steps, trefoil lights on returns, pointed arch inner doorway, double doors with decorative hinges, 2 paired lancets to nave, buttress, 3 lancets to chancel, set back buttresses, east window of 3 lancets, lancet north wall of chancel, lean-to roofed vestry, 2 lancets east side, shouldered doorway north front, 3 paired lancets to nave. Interior: rendered. Pointed chancel arch. Arched braced nave roof, collar beam to nave, in varnished pine as are all fittings and harmonium. The ecclesiastical parish was created in 1856 out of the Royal Forest of Exmoor and the memoirs of the first vicar, the Rev W H Thornton, 'Reminiscences of An Old West Country Clergyman' tell of its early days. (Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).
Listing NGR: SS7757639429
Book Reference - Author: Reverend WH Thornton - Title: Reminiscences of an Old West Country Clergyman
Book Reference - Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus - Title: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958 - Journal Title: The Buildings of England
National Grid Reference: SS 77576 39429