MSO8837 - Possible Roman activity at Hadborough
|Name:||Possible Roman activity at Hadborough|
|Type of Record:||Find Spot|
|Grid Reference:||SS 96 28|
|Parish:||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Several Roman coins dug up before 1791 "from a mount called Hadborough", on the west end of Haddon Hill.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD (Unclassified))
Designated Status: none recorded
[Marginal] Several Roman coins have been dug up at a mount called Hadborough near the west end of Haddon Hill, though its exact location is unknown. 
Additional Bibliography. [2-6]
The presumed site of a barrow. 
<1> Collinson J, 1791, History of Somerset, 502 (Monograph). SSO878.
<2> Devonshire Association, 1862 -, Devonshire Association reports and transactions, Volume 44 (1912), 716 (H St George Gray) (Serial). SMO5393.
<3> Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1851-, Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, Volume 97 (1952), 192 (WA Seaby) (Serial). SMO4109.
<4> Page, W. (editor), 1906, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset (Monograph). SMO5476.
<5> Wilson-North, R., 1998, Haddon Hill, Brompton Regis, Somerset: An archaeological survey by the RCHME (Report). SMO5799.
<6> Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1963, SS92NE, 5 (Map). SSO1726.
<7> Wilson-North, R., Field Investigators Comments, RCHME Field Investigation, 1 July 1998 (Unpublished document). SMO7329.
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11116
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8120
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO8367
- Local List Status (No)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE16
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 92 NE5
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36503
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 36522
- Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33413
|Date Last Edited:||Oct 13 2015 9:07AM|
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please