Historic Environment Record images

MSO8971 - Betsy Mine / New Langham Mine

ENPHER Number:MSO8971
Name:Betsy Mine / New Langham Mine
Type of Record:Monument
Grid Reference:SS 985 353
Parish:BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET

Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.

Summary

The last of the Brendon Hills Iron One Company works, opened in 1876, also known as New Langham mine. The area is visible as faint earthworks on aerial photographs taken in 1947.

Monument Types

  • IRONSTONE MINE (AD 19th Century to AD 20th Century - 1876 AD to 1900 AD (Unclassified))

Designated Status: none recorded

Description

"Betsy Mine, disused" is marked on the 6" map of 1962. It was also known as New Langham mine and was one of the Brendon hills Iron Ore Company works. It was the last of their mines to be opened in 1876 and had an engine house, 2 shafts and siding from railway at Luxborough station. It is believed that the shafts are still visible. [1-5]

Centred at SS 9848 5330 is an area of disturbed undulating ground associated with the mine workings. These appear as amorphous faint earthworks and were mapped from aerial photographs. [6-8]

The mine shaft and airshaft have been filled and the former spoil heap is being removed for use as hardcore. The uppermost level is collapsing, opening into the field. [9]

The site was visited in March 2013. A large mound, presumably the spoil heap mentioned above, lies in the field just outside and to the north of the holding in a small field of permanent pasture. The course of the former West Somerset Mineral Rail (WSMR) line is visible just beyond it. The southern extent of the site mapped on the HER is now within a cultivated field and nothing was visible within the holding. However, two pieces of iron ore were collected from the plough soil. [10]


<1> Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1962, 6" SS93NE, 6" 1962 (Map). SSO1627.


<2> Sellick R, 1970, The West Somerset Mineral Railway, P. 39 (Monograph). SSO1911.


<3> Bryant T.C, 1980, The Hollow Hills of Brendon, 6 (Monograph). SSO815.


<4> April 1947, LHL CPE/UK/1980, 3336 (Aerial photograph). SSO289.


<5> September 19, HSL.UK.71-177 Run 99, 8810 (Aerial photograph). SSO262.


<6> Vertical Aerial Photograph, RAF MCPE/UK/1944/2147 23-JAN-1947 (Aerial photograph). SMO4068.


<7> RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS93NE (Collection). SMO6673.


<8> Western Archaeological Trust, 1980s, Exmoor Aerial Photograph Survey, 9835 (Survey). SSO708.


<9> Jones, M.H., 1995, Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills, P.15 (Report). SEM7005.


<10> ENPA archaeologist field visit, S Blaylock, 13 March 2013 (Survey). SEM1.

Other References

  • Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO801
  • Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO11124
  • Local List Status (Unassessed)
  • National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 NE 46
  • National Park: Exmoor National Park
  • Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1127997
  • Somerset SMR PRN (Somerset): 33422
Date Last Edited:Mar 20 2014 3:26PM

Feedback?

Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please email us.

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd

© 2016 Exmoor National Park Authority